Friday, May 18, 2012

Fairy Drops vs. Blinc

I love fiberwig mascaras.  Mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to wrestle with make up remover to try and get waterproof mascara off my lashes every night. How easy is it to just wet your eyes and pull those little tubes off your lashes?  It's safe, fast and easy.

I've been using Blinc (or when it first came out it was called Kiss Me Mascara - which I believe it's still called in Asia) since my university days.  This is kind of going to date me, but that was about 10 years ago?  I've always found that Blinc (B for short) was a little pricey and it didn't lengthen or volumize my lashes.  And being asian with short stubby sparse lashes, it's not so attractive.  I've heard of FairyDrops (FD for short) before, but I didn't know that Sephora started carrying it. Of course, as soon as I found out that they carried it, I dropped by and picked one up.

I like the packaging on FD way better than B.  It's fun and cutesy.  B is more streamlined and mature.  Minimalistic.  FD - 1, B - 0

FD definitely volumized and lengthened (though not by a lot).  The bonus here is that FD is supposed to also curl.  Side note: I've been using Latisse and it seems to be curling my lashes on it's own, so I don't really need to use a curler anymore.  My lashes are also longer, so I may not notice the lengthening as much.  B gives me the doll eyed look that I like so much, but it doesn't really fill in the spaces.  FD - 2, B - 0.

FD flaked.  B did not.  FD - 2, B- 1.

FD dried out within two months, B has been opened for nearly 6 months and it's finally drying out.  FD - 2, B - 2.

Removing FD was a bit of a process.  It didn't really remove as little tubes, but more like little mascara chunkies (yes, I know, sounds very appetizing).  And it took a little longer to remove.  B is quick and easy.  Put your face under running water (I usually remove it when I'm in the shower) for about 10-15 seconds and then pull and you pull off a bunch of little tubes at a time.  FD - 2, B - 3.

FD has a weird curved bumpy like brush.  B's brush is straight.  The application was about the same for me, but I find that I had an easier time applying with the FD brush.  FD - 3, B -3



B's formula was a lot more watery, or runny, if you will (like nail polish).  FD was a little more thick, more mascara like.  This could also be why B lasted a little longer than FD.  FD - 3, B - 4.  As you can tell by the picture of the brushes, FD is clumpy and B is not.

Overall, I really liked FD, but was just really disappointed at how fast it dried out.  I think that it would be a nice back up, but I think that I'm going to keep using Blinc.


Have you tried either of these mascaras?  What did you think?




10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of fiberwig mascara - I am trying to picture what "pulling off tubes" of mascara is like, but I can't!! I'm picturing weird futuristic alien eyelashes.... I'm going to have to investigate hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, my experience pulling them off was kind of... "UGH!!!!!!!! what is going on?!??!?!?" type of confusion, but once you pull them off and see the little tubes, it turns into a "WAY COOOOOL!!!!" type of reaction! :P

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I have heart a lot out fibre wig mascara's, but never tried one out! Your post may have just motivated me to do so.

    Sharleena xx
    markedbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) You should! They are so convenient...they may not give you the huge boost that regular mascaras do, but the advantages or no smudging, lasting literally forever until you wet them, and the ease of removal will soon balance that all out.

      Clinique has a cheaper one - I've bought it, but haven't used it yet. I'll be doing a review sooner or later! :)

      Delete
  3. I'd like to try this! New follower from italy :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi! thanks for the review! i remember looking into the imju fiberwig mascara a few years ago but was not totally convinved it would work for me. i think i might try the blinc one out for sure since i have similar lashes to yours and i've heard plenty of good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blinc is probably my favourite mascara - ever! LOL! One thing about it is the price. It's quite pricey, but I find that it lasts me quite a while. :) If you do try it, let me know how you ilke it!

      Delete
  5. Such a fun review! I'm not familiar with the Fairy Drops. Stop by and follow back at http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/ when you can! :)

    ReplyDelete